Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Slow Down!

This week, our family took a few days off for a family vacation. I was forced into limited access to all of my gadgets. Getting online was hit and miss without my normal wireless router, my cell phone only worked if I was standing in the back bedroom of the house where we were staying and the TV remote was not working well. Truthfully, I did not go on the trip with a need for the gadgets but I realized after about 2 days how much quieter my life became. Life slowed down. My wife and children and family were the center of each day.

In Matthew 8:23, it tells the story about Jesus when he had fallen asleep in a boat when a large storm had hit. The disciples were basically freaking out and thought they were about to die. They woke up Jesus and and He spoke to the wind and the sea and the Bible says, "there was a great calm." Basically, the disciples turned over their situation to God and He brought a great calm.

It took a few days of being unhooked from my normal routine for me feel the calm. I am thankful to have had the days away. Sometimes in our hectic paced lives we need to experience this great calm. Take one day, Sunday and let life slow down. Give everything over to the Lord and rest. Rest is good! Getin2life by refreshing it with a much needed day off.

No comments: