Monday, July 30, 2007

I nearly missed a God moment

Our family made plans this morning to meet for dinner at Outback Steakhouse at 5:15. I certainly didn’t want to be late to meet everyone, so I watched the clock to be sure I left work on time. I grabbed my laptop and headed out the door but just as I stepped out I heard a gentleman that I had never met, speaking about some pain in his lower leg. As I briskly walked by I said, “I hope you get better quick,” tucked my head down and kept on walking. But just at the same moment I heard God speak to me, “Stop and pray for him.” I didn’t stop! I would be late. I made it to my car and felt conviction for missing the prompting of God. I tried to justify my actions with a lame excuse of not being late, but…, well you know how that goes. Am I alone, or have others of you heard God speak in that small, quiet voice but you didn’t respond? Those promptings are easy to run right by.

Revelation 2:7 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

The promptings are the Holy Spirit attempting to lead us. I’m sure that I miss the Holy Spirit speaking to me because I’m just not in tune with Him. Also, I’m sure that as I become more obedient to His promptings then God will continue to speak more and more and into greater and more influential opportunities. The key is to begin at the very next prompting. I encourage you to ask God to prompt you tomorrow and then stay in tune; you will probably get an opportunity.

Good news!!! I got out of my car, went back in to see that gentleman and asked him if I could pray for him. He gladly accepted my offer. I prayed a prayer filled with faith and asked God to heal his leg. I don’t know if his healing came immediately but I’m sure the man was encouraged. But for me, my faith was elevated to a new level. Obedience will always lift us up. I became excited about asking God to prompt me again tomorrow. Who knows what God may have in store!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you get you sermon ideas for god? What if your sermon is bad or just wrong or something else? who do you blame. Does anyone say to you that your sermon was bad or ill prepared? I have heard a few less than inspiring or just plain wrong sermons but never know what to say. I don't want to be "the devil"

Tim Blevins said...

I'm not sure where you going with this but to say the least, I try to hear God but I'm sure I haven't always represented God with perfection. Does anyone critique my sermons? I usually don't hear too much but I have had several people ask for further clarification.