Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Key to a Successful Life

Recently, I became put out with myself. I had slowly gained a few pounds a year until finally it dawned on me that my clothes didn’t fit, I was uncomfortable, and didn’t sleep well. Over the past 10 years I have gained over 25 pounds that were now driving me crazy. I have lost a few pounds only to gain them back. I actually lost over 15 pounds during my 21 day fast but months later, hello, they’re back. My problem was simple. I have been lacking the discipline and self-control to make a lasting difference in my life. I began my journey to becoming healthier about three weeks ago. I decided not to go on a binge diet but to begin exercising self-control over the foods that are unhealthy. I cut out soft drinks, junk foods and began eating low carb. meals. As of this morning, I have lost 10 pounds. Although I am pleased to have lost the weight there is something that I am even more pleased with. I am learning to exercise self-control. This is a character trait that must be developed in us in order to live successful lives.

1 Peter 1:13 “Think clearly and exercise self-control.” (NLT)

Lack of self discipline or self-control will result in mediocrity. Some of these common examples are the causes for lackluster living.

· I just can’t find the time to read my Bible.
· I’m too tired to play with my kids.
· I don’t enjoy reading books.
· I spend all the money I make. (no savings, no investing, impulse buying)
· I eat too much.
· I waist a lot of time surfing the internet, watching TV, playing video games, etc.

What do you want out of your life? Mediocrity, average, middle of the road, vanilla or excellence, success, purpose, and health.

The choice is mine and yours. I encourage you to a look at your life. Where do you lack the discipline to move forward and be excellent? Maybe now is the time for you to getin2life! This could be your season to get things in order, live with excellence and enjoy the fruits of a life well lived.

God bless you.

No comments: