Tuesday, October 9, 2007

It's Not About Me

It’s not about me.

I realize this phrase has become popular due to the bestselling book, “Purpose driven life” by Rick Warren, but I felt like it is worth repeating in context of being a Senior Pastor of a healthy growing church. Any person with a heartbeat would feel a sense of pull towards self promotion in the church setting, especially as a Senior Pastor. The enemy would love to get me sidetracked with a prideful attitude. Also, the enemy would love to get people to believe that the leader is a superstar or a type of rock star. As I read 2 Kings 5: 8-12, I was reminded of the phrase, “It’s not about me.”

Elisha, a true prophet, had a ministry that lasted over 50 years, did many miracles and impacted four nations with his ministry yet maintained integrity. It was still not all about him, he shared ministry with others.

I love the story in 2 Kings. A man named Naaman who was sick with leprosy came to Elisha for healing. Elisha sent his servant to do the ministry. Unfortunately for Naaman, he was looking for a man with a rock star attitude who would never miss a chance to be the miracle worker. But not Elisha, he killed the idolization of the minister by sending his servant.

Elisha is a good example of giving away ministry to others and not letting your ministry become all about you. The bottom line… it is all about God!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor tim, This is so true. After 26 years of ministry in the same place it is easy for you find that your idenity and your relationship with GOD becomes what you do.It was all about me and what I felt I was doing for GOD.In the past year I have had to completly rethink my walk with the Lord. Yes its all about Him.

Tim Blevins said...

Hi fellow pastor. Thanks for your comment. God bless you as you give your life for the one who deserves to be idolized.

Unknown said...

Hi Pastor Tim,

Just wanted to say I come here and read often while I'm resting in my bed (not much else to do on bedrest) and you have been an encouragement to me even outside of church. Thank God for you Hope you are having a blessed week.